JP Apartments consists of 11 rehabilitated buildings in Jamaica Plain and Dorchester with 103 affordable units. Urban Edge worked closely with residents throughout the rehabilitation of the property, which was completed in 2011. Sustainability was a major goal of the project.
• Transportation: Within 1⁄4 mile of the MBTA subway, commuter rail stop, and dozens of bus lines. Two zip cars and the Southwest Corridor bike trail are also nearby.
• Water conservation: Native drought-resistant plantings and low-flow fixtures.
• Energy conservation: Two solar thermal systems, advanced insulation, high-efficiency boilers and water heaters; separately-metered units with 74-degree upper-limit thermostats; and Energy Star, high-efficiency lighting and appliances.
• Sustainable materials: 85% of all demolition and construction waste was recycled. Project used post-consumer recycled content materials (including concrete) whenever practical.
• Indoor air quality: Low-VOC paints, adhesives, and solvents; two-speed, 24-hour exhaust fans in kitchens and bathrooms; and common laundry facilities with Energy Star-rated, high-efficiency equipment.
• Certification: Enterprise Green Communities